2015 Domenici Conference Student Panelists
Thank you to the many faculty members and administrators from universities throughout New Mexico who nominated students to serve as panelists at the 2015 Domenici Public Policy Conference, September 16-17 at the Las Cruces Convention Center. Nominations were accepted through April 30. A committee of the Domenici Institute Advisory Council reviewed the nominations and selected the following students to participate as panelists at the conference. The student teams are at work now, preparing for the conference.
|Norma Ibarra||Eastern New Mexico University|
|Michael Barrio||New Mexico State University|
|Bethany Blundell||New Mexico State University|
|Chu Hui Cha||New Mexico State University|
|Aaron Lindsay||New Mexico State University|
|Angie Mestas||New Mexico State University|
|Kristen Sullivan||New Mexico State University|
|Lauren Long||New Mexico Tech|
|Gabriel Montoya||New Mexico Tech|
|Seth Barany||University of New Mexico|
|Juliana Bilowich||University of New Mexico|
|Lauren Dennis||University of New Mexico|
|Jenna Hagengruber||University of New Mexico|
|Sarah Hodson||University of New Mexico|
|Anand Macherla||University of New Mexico|
|Mark Niederhaus||University of New Mexico|
|Victoria Pryor||University of New Mexico|
|Brad Sedillo||University of New Mexico|
|Constance Williams||Western New Mexico University|
Our thanks to U.S. Bank for generously funding student participation in the conference.
What students can expect
Students who are selected and agree to participate as a panelist have an important role. They are the only conference attendees who will be allowed to question the speakers. Past student panelists have questioned a host of distinguished speakers such as: New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez; former Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta; former Secretary of State James Baker; former Senator Christopher Dodd; former White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove; Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano; political strategist, James Carville; Ambassador Karen Hughes; former Senator Tom Daschle; former Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar; and retired Senator Bill Frist, M.D.
Student panelist commitment
Because student panelists play an important role, some preparation is expected. Students have begun to work with a committee of the Domenici Institute Advisory Council who will help prepare them for their role in the conference. Over the summer, student panelists are expected to participate in research initiatives resulting in the development of comprehensive and relevant questions to be addressed by the conference speakers. Students will work in teams and each team will be assigned to research and prepare questions for one speaker. It is possible that some panelists may serve on more than one team. Over the summer, this team preparation will take place over the phone, email, and via an interactive online platform. Students must be able to commit time to their team members and be able to communicate with team members throughout the summer.
Participating students can anticipate the following time commitment:
- time spent collaborating online with team members;
- time spent doing independent research;
- starting early July, three short written assignments designed to acquaint students with the speakers/topics and facilitate the development of panelist questions;
- starting early August, teams will draft and revise questions for feedback;
- travel to Las Cruces on Sept. 15;
- participation in a student panelist dinner and orientation on Sept. 15; and,
- participation in all conference activities during the two-day conference, Sept. 16-17.
All student panelists will receive:
- $250 U.S. Bank Visa gift card;
- admission to the conference;
- reserved seating;
- hotel accommodations in Las Cruces (Sept. 15 & 16) arranged by the Domenici Institute;
- student panelist dinner and orientation on Sept. 15 at the hotel;
- lunch on Sept. 16 & 17 at the conference;
- continental breakfast on Sept. 17 at the conference; and,
- a private meeting (as a group) with Senator Pete V. Domenici.
Students or their universities will be required to cover:
- transportation to and from the hotel and conference; and,
- any miscellaneous expenses not covered above.
Questions regarding the Domenici Student Panelist Program should be directed to Sara Patricolo at the Domenici Institute: 575-646-2066 or firstname.lastname@example.org.