Domenici Students Panelists Chosen
One of the highlights of the Domenici Public Policy Conference is the participation of students. Students are the only conference participants allowed to ask questions of the presenters. Therefore, the selection of students to serve as student panelists is an important and detailed process. In essence, the selection involves the nomination of students from throughout the state of New Mexico and a review by a subcommittee of the Domenici Institute Advisory Council. The committee had the difficult task of selecting students from a nominated group of highly credentialed and experienced individuals.
As we reviewed the nomination packets, we were ready to accept every student. The students clearly represented a highly qualified group of individuals. However, since we are limited on the number of student panelists available, only a designated number could be invited to participate. The committee discussed, debated and essentially struggled in making the final selections. Students created a demanding task for the committee because of their amazing credentials.
The following students have been selected for the 2012 Domenici Public Policy Conference Student Panel:
- Amneh Al-Rawashden – New Mexico State University
- Richard Baca – University of New Mexico
- April Bond – New Mexico State University
- Kristina Chavez – New Mexico State University
- Gabriella Ferrari – New Mexico State University
- Iric Guthrie – University of New Mexico
- Emma Hamilton – New Mexico State University
- Mark Kunzman – University of New Mexico
- Sunny Liu – University of New Mexico
- Carlos Martin – Northern New Mexico College
- Marcella Martinez – New Mexico State University
- Keioshiah Peter – University of New Mexico
- Zackary Quintero – New Mexico State University
- Ehben Reed – University of New Mexico
- Francisca Reyes – New Mexico State University
- Shanae Roybal – Northern New Mexico College
- Lauren Salvato – University of New Mexico
- Daniel Sonntag – New Mexico State University
- Shanta Thoutam – New Mexico State University
- Jacob Wellman – University of New Mexico
Our thanks to U.S. Bank for generously funding student participation in the conference.
Student panelist commitment:
Over the summer, student panelists are expected to participate in research initiatives resulting in the development of comprehensive and relevant questions to be addressed by the conference speakers. Students will work in teams and each team will be assigned to research and prepare questions for one speaker. It is possible that some panelists may serve on more than one team.
Over the summer, this team preparation will take place over the phone and via email. Participating students can anticipate the following time commitment: two or three team prep sessions (each one-hour in length), time spent doing independent research, travel to Las Cruces on Sept. 18, participation in a student panelist dinner banquet and orientation on Sept. 18, and participation in all conference activities during the two-day event (Sept. 19-20).
All student panelists will receive:
- A $250 U.S. Bank Visa gift card
- Admission to the conference
- Reserved seating
- Hotel accommodations in Las Cruces (Sept-18-19) arranged by the Domenici Institute
- Student panelist dinner banquet and orientation on Sept. 18 at the hotel
- Lunch Sept. 19-20 at the conference
- Breakfast on Sept. 20 at the conference
- A private meeting (as a group) with retired Sen. Pete V. Domenici
Students or their universities will be required to cover:
- Transportation to and from the hotel and conference
- Any miscellaneous expenses not covered above
Questions regarding the Domenici Student Panelists should be directed to Sara Patricolo at the Domenici Institute, 575-646-2066 or email@example.com.